Citizenship through Parents

Some individuals may wonder how to obtain citizenship through their parents or even grandparents. Persons born abroad to U.S. citizen parents are most likely U.S. citizens, as well, and would simply have to prove this with appropriate documentation. It could get more complicated for a person born abroad to only one U.S. citizen parent.

This is yet another area of immigration law where terms can be complex. An individual may meet a challenge in determining if he or she “acquired” U.S. citizenship at birth through a parent, or if he or she “derived” U.S. citizenship as a minor through his or her parent(s).

Acquired citizenship is granted at birth to individuals born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s).

Derivative citizenship is a complicated area of immigration law and requires in depth knowledge.

As defined by USCIS, derivative citizenship is citizenship given to children “through the naturalization of parents or, under certain circumstances, to foreign-born children adopted by U.S. citizen parents, provided certain conditions are met.” In some cases, citizenship can be transmitted from a grandparent to a parent and ultimately to a child. This is known as double derivative citizenship, which is particularly common among Canadians, Mexicans, Filipinos, and Israelis.

Whatever the case may be, 718 La Migra is up-to-date with immigration laws and is very familiar with the N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, and can assist parents and children with acquired or derivative citizenship.